The Joseph Marmash Papers contain a curious letter from somebody named "Alex" in the US Army. Can you help us figure out who Alex was, and help us learn his story?

There are many things that pass through our hands every day that are intended to be thrown away. Individually, these items have relatively little value, but if one assembles a comprehensive collection, then they can suddenly take on significant importance as documentation of a given time, place, or community.

The St. Peter and Paul parish was founded in the early 1930s during the height of the Great Depression, and remained active for approximately 40 years. The collection contains lists of parish members and records of baptisms, marriages and funerals, as well as legal records, deeds, and parish council meeting minutes dating back to the founding of the parish.

Winter 2012

Contents: 
  • Archives storage improvements
  • New museum acquisitions
  • Educational and outreach activities

 

We in the West have gotten used to the idea that farmhouses are physically separate from the "barn", where livestock and grain are kept. This was not the case for traditional village houses in Ukraine.

This 200+ year old textile fragment shows the ancient origins of a common Ukrainian embroidery pattern.

By far the oldest item in our permanent collection is this Kyivan Rus' cross-enkolpion.

In the 1930s, the anti-religious zeal of the Communist government resulted in the destruction of architectural masterpieces. Today, it is capitalist development.

One of the oldest written records in our collections is this legal document from 1731. It is written in Polish (not surprisingly, since much of Ukraine was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonweath at the time), and concerns the raising of funds for the monastery in Mezhyrichia, Ukraine.

Spring 2012

Contents: 
  • The Kul'zhyns'kyi "Pysanka Album"
  • Exhibits and outreach
  • A thanks to donors

Pages

Subscribe to Ukrainian History and Education Center RSS